Charles W. Kraushaar established Kraushaar Galleries in 1885, initially selling artist materials, photogravures, and reproductions. Kraushaar shortly began to deal in watercolors, paintings, and engravings by European artists, primarily landscapes of the Barbizon School. In 1901 Kraushaar moved the business to 260 Fifth Avenue and with the assistance of his brother, John F. Kraushaar, began adding more modern French and American painters to the inventory. Charles Kraushaar died in 1917, and John assumed control of the galleries with the assistance of his daughter, Antoinette. When the war was over, John resumed buying trips to Europe, but during the 1930s his health began to fail, and Antoinette took a larger role in the operation of the business with the assistance of her brother Charles. In the early 1940s Antoinette Kraushaar added more sculpture to the gallery's inventory, while reducing the number of etchings offered. Kraushaar Galleries moved to 32 East Fifty-seventh Street in 1944, by which time American art had become its main focus. John Kraushaar died in December 1946, and Antoinette and Charles legally assumed control of the business. Their partnership continued until 1950, when Antoinette assumed sole ownership of the gallery. Antoinette Kraushaar continued to manage the until she retired in 1988. She died four years later at the age of ninety. Records of the Kraushaar Galleries are held by the Archives of American Art, from whose finding aid this brief biography has been excerpted.