Firm founded in New York in 1903 by Louis Rinaldo Ehrich [d.1911] and his son Harold Louis Ehrich [1880-1932]. Harold's brother Walter Louis Ehrich [1878-1936] joined the firm as treasurer in 1908. Many of Ehrich Gallerie's sales were held through other New York auction houses, such as Silo's or the American Art Galleries. Ehrich Galleries specialized in masters of the "Continental schools" before 1800, and in early American or colonial works from this period. Following Harold's death, the firm merged with the Newhouse Galleries, with Walter acting as Treasurer of the new enterprise.
"Harold L. Ehrich Dies Suddenly." Art News 30 (2 April 1932):13
The Burlington Magazine 60 (May 1932):261 [obituary for Harold Louis Ehrlich]
"Art Firms Merge." Art Digest 8 (15 May 1934): 8.
"Ehrich-Newhouse History Related." Art News 32 (9 June 1934):10.
Art News 34 (8 February 1936): 11 [obituary for Walter Ehrich]
Lancour, Harold. American Art Auction Catalogues, 1785-1942; a union list. New York [NY Public Library], 1944: [several Ehrich Galleries listings].
The Sculpture Garden will open on Saturday, June 20, with limitations. The East and West Buildings are currently closed to the public. All on-site events are canceled through December 31, 2020. Learn More.