by later hand, lower center in brown ink: Giulio Romano
Prosper Henry Lankrink, London (Lugt 2090); William Cavendish, 2nd Duke of Devonshire, Chatsworth, Derbyshire (Lugt 718); William Mayor [d. 1874], London (Lugt 2799); probably Jeffrey Whitehead, London (sale, Christie's, London, 13 May 1903, no. 10). Helene C. Seiferheld, New York; William B. O'Neal [1907-1994], Charlottesville, VA, January 1961; gift to NGA, 1991.
- Drawings from the Collection of William B. O'Neal, University of Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Charlottesville, 1961, no. 1 (as Romano).
- Ten Years of Art in Virginia, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, January 1971.
- Master Drawings from the Collection of William B. O'Neal, Walter Cecil Rawls Museum, Courtland, VA and tour, 1973-1975 (as Romano), no. 20.
- A Brief Chronological Description of a Collection of Original Drawingsand Sketches...Formed by the late Mr. William Mayor. London, 1875, no. 51 (as Romano).
- Pouncey, Philip, and John A. Gere. Italian Drawings in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum: Raphael and His Circle. London, 1962: 67, under no. 88.
- "In Virginia," Arts in Virginia, 5, no. 2 (Winter 1965), 22-23.
- "Drawings for Theater and Architecture: A Special View of a Noted Virginia Collection of Master Drawings," Arts in Virginia, 15 (Spring 1975): 2 (not illus.).
- National Gallery of Art. Drawings from the O'Neal Collection. Exh. cat. Washington, 1993, checklist p. 96.