Renovation of the Mellon Memorial Fountain at the National Gallery of Art
Andrew W. Mellon (1855–1937) was the original benefactor behind the National Gallery of Art, but neither the buildings nor the institution bears his name. In the late 1940s, Pittsburgh friends of Mr. Mellon proposed a memorial to honor his public service and philanthropy. The Andrew W. Mellon Memorial Fountain was dedicated in 1952. In 2015, the Gallery acquired jurisdiction over the property and immediately undertook a complete renovation to revive this beautiful memorial and public amenity. This video tells the story of that renovation.