lower left in brown watercolor: John S. Sargent; center verso in blue pencil by unknown hand: MK 905; center verso in graphite: No 1/SS-6S (strikethrough) / No 4 15 Cen de Marge (strikethrough)
Estate of Henry Schlesinger; Mrs. A. H. Berly; (Christie's, New York, March 3, 1913, lot 34); (Colnaghi and Obach, New York, 1913); (Robinson and Farr, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1913); (Macbeth Galleries, New York); Mabel Stevens Smithers, Greenwich, Connecticut, 1925; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1952; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art
- The Salon, Paris, France, 1881, no. 3413 (or 3414), as "Vue de Venise"
- [exhibition title unknown], Macbeth Galleries, New York, 1925, no. 19, as "Canal Scene, Venice"
- John Singer Sargent: Drawings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC; Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service, 1983, p. 53, no. 25, repro
- "Sketch Everything and Keep Your Curiosity Fresh": Sargent Drawings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1999
- Whistler and His Circle in Venice, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2003
- John Singer Sargent in the Corcoran Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2009-2010
- Adelson, Warren. John Singer Sargent: His Own Work. New York: Coe Kerr Gallery, 1980, as "Gondola on Canal".
- Simmons, Linda Crocker and with the assistance of Adrianne J. Humphrey, et al. American Drawings, Watercolors, Pastels, and Collages in the Collection of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. Washington, DC: Corcoran Gallery of Art, 1983: p. 105, no. 687.
- Honour, Hugh, and John Fleming. The Venetian Hours of Henry James, Whistler, and Sargent. London: Walker Books, 1991, p. 60.