(Rose M. de Forest [Mrs. Augustus De Forest], New York); purchased 6 December 1921 by Thomas B. Clarke [1848-1931], New York; his estate; sold as part of the Clarke collection on 29 January 1936, through (M. Knoedler & Co., New York), to The A. W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1947 to NGA.
- Portraits Painted in the United States by Early American Artists, The Union League Club, New York, February 1922, no. 10, as Cyrus Griffin by Gilbert Stuart.
- A Loan Exhibition of Paintings by Early American Portrait Painters, The Century Association, New York, 1928, as Cyrus Griffin by Gilbert Stuart.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth, and Nineteenth Centuries Collected by Thomas B. Clarke, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928, unpaginated and unnumbered catalogue.
- Exhibition of Historical Portraits 1585-1830, Virginia Historical Society, Richmond, 1929, unnumbered, as Cyrus Griffin
- Sherman, Frederic Fairchild. "Early American Portraits." Art in America 10, no. 3 (April 1922): 144
- Park 1926, 372-373, no. 361, repro.
- Weddell, Alexander Wilbourne, ed. A Memorial Volume of Virginia Historical Portraiture, 1585-1830. Richmond, 1930: 258-260, repro.
- Sawitzky, William. "Some Unrecorded Portraits by Gilbert Stuart: Portraits Painted in America." Art in America 21, no. 3 (June, 1933): 83-84, 91, 92-93.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 110, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 240, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 358, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 285, repro. 286.