Descended in the family of Henry Wheeler, Boston. (Childs Gallery, Boston, by December 1949). (Old Print Shop, New York), by whom sold in 1950 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1953.
- Little-Known Connecticut Artists, 1790-1810, Connecticut Historical Society, Hartford, 1957-1958 (cat. by Nina Fletcher Little) in Connecticut Historical Society Bulletin 22 (October 1957): 100, no. 12.
- The Beardsley Limner and Some Contemporaries, A. A. Rockefeller Folk Art Ceneter, Williamsburg; Montclair Art Museum, New Jersey; and New Haven Colony Historical Society, 1972-1973, no. 4. (cat. by Christine S. Schloss).
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 156, repro., as by Unknown American.
- Schloss, Christine Skeeles. "The Beardsley Limner." Antiques 103 (March 1973): 534, fig. 3.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 25, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 27, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 16-17, color repro. 17.