Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his estate; purchased 1930 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased 1945 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1957 to NGA.
- Ricci, Seymour de. The Gustave Dreyfus Collection. Reliefs and Plaquettes. Oxford, 1931: 229, no. 334, pl. 47, as Italian, early sixteenth century, The Justice of Trajan.
- Renaissance Bronzes: Statuettes, Reliefs and Plaquettes, Medals and Coins from the Kress Collection. Introduction by Perry B. Cott. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 155, as Italian, early sixteenth century, The Justice of Trajan.
- Pope-Hennessy, John W. Renaissance Bronzes from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Reliefs, Plaquettes, Statuettes, Utensils and Mortars. London, 1965: 105–106, no. 382, fig. 333, as possibly Milanese or Roman, Unidentified Classical Scene.
- Wilson, Carolyn C. Renaissance Small Bronze Sculpture and Associated Decorative Arts at the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1983: 66–67, no. 18, repro., as Beheading of Saint Paul.
- Pope-Hennessy, John. "The Study of Italian Plaquettes." Studies in the History of Art 22 (1989): 22-23, fig. 11, as Roman (?), Beheading of Saint Paul.
- Lewis, Douglas and Tom Eden. "A 'Renaissance' plaquette design from nineteenth-century Vienna." The Medal 60 (Spring 2012): 4-15.