lower left on card: A/89; upper center on board on applied paper: 128.; upper center reverse in graphite: (128); center reverse in graphite partially obscured by AMNH label: No 4
George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- Indiens des deux Ameriques, Salle du Jardin Botanique, Brussels, 1870, no. 129.
- Catlin's Indian Cartoons, Somerville Gallery, New York, 1871, no. 128.
- Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C., 1872.
- Possibly Centennial Exhibition, Philadelphia, 1876.
- George Catlin, American Indians: Paintings from The Collection of the American Museum of Natural History, Kennedy Galleries, Inc., New York, 1956.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Buffalo Bill Historical Center, Cody, Wyoming, 1964-1974.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Thomas S. Kleppe, U.S. Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C., 1976-1977.
- Extended loan for use by Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, The Supreme Court of the United States, Washington, D.C., 1981-1999.
- The American West: Out of Myth, Into Reality, Mississippi Museum of Art, Jackson; Terra Museum of American Art, Chicago; Toledo Museum of Art, Ohio, 2000, no. 80, repro.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 31.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 83, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 75, repro.