lower center on card: Geo. Catlin. 1861; lower left on card: A/93; upper center on board in pink paint: 171; upper center reverse in graphite: 170; left center reverse in graphite: Var
George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- Indiens des deux Ameriques, Salle du Jardin Botanique, Brussels, 1870, no. 171.
- Catlin's Indian Cartoons, Somerville Gallery, New York, 1871, no. 170.
- Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C., 1872.
- Possibly Centennial Exhibition, Philadelphia, 1876.
- George Catlin, American Indians: Paintings from The Collection of the American Museum of Natural History, Kennedy Galleries, Inc., New York, 1956.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Buffalo Bill Historical Center, Cody, Wyoming, 1964-1974.
- Extended loan for use by Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, The Supreme Court of the United States, Washington, D.C., 1981-1991.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 31.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 57, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 61, repro.
- Anderson, Nancy. K. George de Forest Brush: The Indian Paintings. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Seattle Art Museum. Washington, D.C., 2008: 9, fig. 3.