George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Phoenix Art Museum, 1968-1969.
- Catlin Paintings Exhibit, Albrecht Gallery [now The Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art], St. Joseph, Missouri, 1969-1970.
- [Catlin exhibition], Art Museum of South Texas, Corpus Christi, 1973.
- Frontier America: The Far West, Haags Gemeentemuseum, The Hague; Kunsthaus, Zurich; Villa Hügel, Essen, West Germany; Österreichisches Museum für Angewande Kunst, Vienna, 1976-1977 (organized by Museum of Fine Arts, Boston).
- Extended loan for use by The White House, Washington, D.C., 1982-1989.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Samuel Bodman, U.S. Department of Energy, Washington, D.C., 2005-2008.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 30.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 96, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 73, repro.