lower left on card: A/346; upper center on board in pink paint: 367; upper center reverse in graphite, partially legible: 373; lower edge reverse in graphite, inverted: 333; center reverse in white chalk, obscured by AMNH label: 18[?]
George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- Indiens des deux Ameriques, Salle du Jardin Botanique, Brussels, 1870, no. 367.
- Catlin's Indian Cartoons, Somerville Gallery, New York, 1871, no. 353.
- Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C., 1872.
- Possibly Centennial Exhibition, Philadelphia, 1876.
- George Catlin, American Indians: Paintings from The Collection of the American Museum of Natural History, Kennedy Galleries, Inc., New York, 1956.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Strauz-Hupe, Brussels, Belgium, 1972-1977.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Otto J. Reich, U.S. Embassy residence, Caracas, Venezuela, 1986-1989.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Charles Bowers, U.S. Embassy residence, La Paz, Bolivia, 1991-1994.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 33.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 74, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 71, repro.