lower right in black: HOMER '92; lower right in brown ink: Original [Sketch] for Oil Painting -- Presented to C.S.Homer Jr. 1892.
Charles S. Homer, Jr., by gift of Homer, 1892; Mrs. Charles S. Homer, Jr., by bequest, 1917; Charles R. Henschel, New York, 1937; Ruth K. Henschel (Mrs. Charles R. Henschel), New York, by gift, 1937; gift to NGA, 1975
- Loan Exhibition of Paintings by Winslow Homer, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, NY, 1911, no. 37
- Sixth Annual Exhibition of Selected Paintings by American Artists, Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, 1911, no. 72
- Century Loan Exhibition as a Memorial to Winslow Homer, Prout's Neck (Maine) Association, 1936, no. 33
- Watercolors and Drawings by Winslow Homer, Institute of Modern Art, Boston, 21 June-15 July 1941; California Palace of the Legion of Honor, San Francisco, 9 Aug.-10 Sept. 1941, wc-9
- A Loan Exhibition of Winslow Homer for the Benefit of the New York Botanical Garden, Wildenstein & Co., New York, 19 Feb.-22 Mar. 1947, no. 71
- Winslow Homer in the Adirondacks, Adirondack Museum, Blue Mountian Lake, New York, 15 Aug.-15 Sept. 1959, no. 26
- Water Colors by Winslow Homer from the Collection of Mrs. Charles R. Henschel, National Gallery of Art, Washignton, DC, 6 July-12 Sept. 1962, no. 8
- Winslow Homer in New York State, Storm King Art Center, Mountainville, New York, 29 June-22 Aug. 1963, no. 55
- Watercolors by Winslow Homer, 1836-1910, Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, 7 July-28 Aug. 1966, no. 33
- Winslow Homer, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 3 April-3 June 1973; Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 3 July-13 Aug. 1973; Art Institute of Chicago, 8 Sept.-21 Oct. 1973, no. 131
- Winslow Homer Watercolors, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2 Mar.-11 May 1986; Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth, 6 June-27 July 1986; Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, 11 Sept.-2 Nov. 1986, no. 173
- Winslow Homer, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996, 276-278, no. 180.
- Winslow Homer in the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2005-2006, unnumbered brochure, fig. 9.
- Prouts Neck Association. Century Loan Exhibiton as a Memorial to Winslow Homer. Prouts Neck, Maine : [Prouts Neck Association], 1936, no. 33.
- What Is American in American Art. Exh. cat. M. Knoedler, Inc., New York, 1971: 36, no. 84.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 683, no. 1100, color repro.
- Cooper 1986, p.182, fig.173.
- Winslow Homer. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996: no. 180.
- Tatham, David. Winslow Homer in the Adirondacks. New York, 1996: 114-115, no. 41.
- Tedeschi, Martha with Kristi Dahm. Watercolors by Winslow Homer: The Color of Light, Art Institute of Chicago, 2008: 201, fig. 7.
- Goodrich, Lloyd and Abigail Booth Gerdts. Record of Works by Winslow Homer. New York, 2014: V, no. 1506, p. 130