Recorded as from Connecticut. Descended in the Gage family. Owned by Julius Fisher Gage of Roxbury, Massachusetts, in 1901. (Henry Coger, Ashley Falls, Massachusetts), by whom sold in 1972 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; by bequest to NGA, 1980.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, traveling exh. by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 19, color repro. First venue: Museum of American Folk Art, New York.
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 19, repro.
- Antiques 139 (January 1991): 78.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 403, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 487-489, color repro. 488.