lower right, sideways: Rothkowitz; center left reverse, diagonally: M Rothko; lower right reverse, diagonally: Rothkowitz
The artist [1903-1970]; his estate; consigned 1970 to (Marlborough Gallery, Inc., New York); transferred 1977 back to the artist's estate; transferred 1979 to The Mark Rothko Foundation, Inc., New York; gift 1986 to NGA.
- The 'Ten': Art Auction Benefit of Spanish Children, 85 Clark Street, Brooklyn, 1937, no. 29.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Adrian Basora, U.S. Embassy residence, Prague, Czech Republic, 1992-1995.
- American Artists from the Russian Empire, Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art, The University of Oklahoma, Norman; The State Russian Museum, St. Petersburg; State Tretiakov Gallery, Moscow; San Diego Museum of Art, 2008-2010, no. 95, repro.
- Carter, Malcom N. "Art, Money, and the Troubles of Mark Rothko." Horizon 21 (1978): 25, repro.
- Ashton, Dore. About Rothko. New York, 1983: 58, repro.
- Januszczak, Waldemar. "Elusive Art." The Guardian (1984): 8, repro.
- Chave, Anna C. Mark Rothko: Subjects in Abstraction. New Haven, 1989: 52, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 285, repro.
- Anfam, David. Mark Rothko: The Works on Canvas: Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven and London, 1998: no. 91, repro.