Originally established in Düsseldorf in 1913 by Alfred Flechtheim, the gallery eventually had branches in Berlin, Cologne and Frankfurt, specializing primarily in modern French art. Alfred Flechtheim closed the galleries in 1933 and moved to London, where he died in 1937. The stock of the galleries went mostly to the Mayor Gallery in London and the Galerie Simon in Paris.
Alfred Flechtheim, Sammler, Kunsthändler, Verleger. Exh. cat. Kunstmuseum Düsseldorf, 1987