lower left in pencil: SAUNDERS R; lower right: various inscriptions; over entire painting: stenciled notations
Thurlow Evans Tibbs, Jr. [1952-1997], Washington; gift 1996 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Afro-American Abstract Artists, 1945-1985, The Evans-Tibbs Collection, Washington, 1986, no. 13, cover repro.
- African-American Artists, 1880-1987: Selections from the Evans-Tibbs Collection, Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service, more than twenty venues, 1989, no. 39, fig. 58.
- The Evans-Tibbs Collection at the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 6 September 1996 - 6 January 1997, no. 7.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1 March - 27 July 2008, unpublished checklist.
- Patton, Sharon F. "The Search for Identity 1950-1987" in African-American Artists 1880-1987: Selections from the Evans-Tibbs Collection. Smithsonian Institution; Washington, D.C. 1989: 96-104.