incised in the model, on right rear of collar: h.D.
(J. Falk-Jensen, Athenaeum Kunsthandel, Copenhagen), by January 1951; sold 21 February 1951 to Lessing Julius Rosenwald, Jenkintown, Pennsylvania; gift 1951 to NGA.
- Honoré Daumier, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1960, no cat.
- Daumier Sculpture: A Critical and Comparative Study, Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1969, no. 65b, repro., as Tête d'Homme Souriant (Head of a Smiling Man).
- Gobin, Maurice. Daumier Sculpteur, 1808-1879. Geneva, 1952: no. 38.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 150, as by Daumier.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 134, repro., as by Daumier.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 61, repro.
- Butler, Ruth, and Suzanne Glover Lindsay, with Alison Luchs, Douglas Lewis, Cynthia J. Mills, and Jeffrey Weidman. European Sculpture of the Nineteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 203-206, color repro.