George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- Our Western Frontiers, Newark Museum, 1954, no cat.
- Opening of the West, Newark Museum, 1955, no cat.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Phoenix Art Museum, 1968-1969.
- Catlin Paintings Exhibit, Albrecht Gallery [now The Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art], St. Joseph, Missouri, 1969-1970.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Roger C. B. Morton, U.S. Department of Interior, Washington, D.C., 1971-1975.
- Extended loan for use by the Ambassador, U.S. Embassy residence, London, England, 1975-1981.
- Extended loan for use by the Ambassador, U.S. Embassy residence, Oslo, Norway, 1982-1985.
- George Catlin: Pioneer Painter of the North American Indian, Montclair Art Museum, New Jersey, 1985-1986.
- A Gallery Revived: North American Indian Paintings by George Catlin, Buffalo Bill Historical Center, Cody, Wyoming, 1989.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 29.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 43, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 50, repro.