George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- Catlin, Bodmer, Miller: Artist Explorers of the 1830's, Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha, Nebraska, 1967-1974.
- Extended loan for use by The Supreme Court of the United States, Washington, D.C., 1976-1977.
- Extended loan for use by the Ambassador, U.S. Embassy residence, Oslo, Norway, 1982-1985.
- A Gallery Revived: North American Indian Paintings by George Catlin, Buffalo Bill Historical Center, Cody, Wyoming, 1989.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 32.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 46, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 54, repro.
- QUANTUM, The Magazine of Math and Science, New York, 1997, cover, repro.
- Catlin, Roger. "The Candidates' Thoughts on Art? Well, the Picture's a Little Fuzzy." Washington Post 135, no. 307 (7 October 2012): E7.