lower left on card: A/487; upper center on board in graphite: 6
George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- Indiens des deux Ameriques, Salle du Jardin Botanique, Brussels, 1870, no. 5.
- Catlin's Indian Cartoons, Somerville Gallery, New York, 1871, no. 6.
- Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C., 1872.
- Possibly Centennial Exhibition, Philadelphia, 1876.
- George Catlin, American Indians: Paintings from The Collection of the American Museum of Natural History, Kennedy Galleries, Inc., New York, 1956.
- Catlin, Bodmer, Miller: Artist Explorers of the 1830's, Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha, Nebraska, 1967-1974.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Richard Burt, U.S. Embassy residence, Bonn, West Germany, 1986-1989.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Howard Wilkins, U.S. Embassy residence, The Hague, The Netherlands, 1990-1992.
- Catlin's 'Indian Gallery': Views of the American West, Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, Virginia, 1993-1994, no cat.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 32.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 120, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 102, repro.