lower left: Rothko; lower left reverse, sideways: MARK ROTHKO
The artist [1903-1970]; his estate; consigned 1970 to (Marlborough Gallery, Inc., New York); transferred 1977 back to the artist's estate; transferred 1979 to The Mark Rothko Foundation, Inc., New York; gift 1986 to NGA.
- Mark Rothko, 1903-1970: A Retrospective, Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Walker Art Center, Minneapolis; Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1978-1979, no. 17, repro. (shown only in New York).
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Pickering, U.S. Embassy residence, Moscow, Russia, 1993-1996.
- Silent Things, Secret Things: Still Life from Rembrandt to the Millenium, The Albuquerque Museum, 1999-2000, no. 62, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 289, repro.
- Anfam, David. Mark Rothko: The Works on Canvas: Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven and London, 1998: no. 132, repro.