Probably John Sanders [1714-1782] of Scotia, New York; by descent to his son John Sanders II [1757-1834]; by descent to his daughter Mary Elizabeth Sanders, wife of Harold Wilson of Germantown, New York; by descent to their daughters Anne [b. 1867] and Jane Wilson [b. 1870], Clermont, New York. Sold to (Thurston Thacher, Hyde Park, New York), by whom sold in 1952 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1953.
- Keck, Caroline, and Sheldon Keck. "The Conversation of Two Early Paintings." Antiques 63 (February 1953): 116-119.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 156, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 304, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 434, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 639-640, repro. 639.