lower left in graphite: Marsden Hartley.
John Davis Hatch [1907-1996], by 1976; acquired 1983 by the National Gallery of Art
- Graphic Survey Show, National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C., 1983.
- Graphic Survey Show, National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C., 1986-1987.
- A Century of Drawing, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001-2002, no. 11.
- Hatch, John Davis. 100 American Drawings: Loan Exhibition from the Collection of John Davis Hatch. London: Heim Gallery, 1976, no. 100.
- Stebbins, Theodore E. American Master Drawings and Watercolors: A History of Works on Paper from Colonial Times to the Present. New York: Harper and Row, 1976: pp. 310-311, fig. 270.
- McDonnell, Patricia. Marsden Hartley, American Modern: the Ione and Hudson D. Walker Collection. Minneapolis, 1997: repro. 78.
- A Century of Drawing. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001-2002: no. 11.