lower center on rock: 1851 / J.F. Cropsey
Purchased by 1857 from the artist by William Wilson Corcoran [1798-1888], Washington; gift 1869 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- First Semi-Annual Exhibition, Massachusetts Academy of Fine Arts, Boston, 24 January - 1 May 1953, no. 16.
- Extended loan, The Louise Home, Washington, 6 January 1916 - 3 May 1923, no catalogue.
- Tribute to William Wilson Corcoran, George Washington Univesity Library, Washington, 1952, no catalogue.
- Hudson River School, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, 1955, no catalogue.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1966, no catalogue.
- Light and Shadow, South Texas Artmobile, Sixth Exhibit, Corpus Christi, September 1974 - May 1975.
- 19th Century American Landscape Paintings, Great Hall, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, 15 October - 10 December 1975, no catalogue.
- Loan for display at The White House, Washington, 1976.
- Encouraging American Genius: Master Paintings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Parrish Art Museum, Southampton, NY; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte; John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, 2005-2007, checklist no. 22.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Phillips, Dorothy W. A Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings in The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Vol. 1: Painters born before 1850. Washington, 1966: 109-110, repro., as Washington's Headquarters on the Hudson.
- Cash, Sarah, and Terrie Sultan. American Treasures of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. New York, 2000: 65, repro., as Washington's Headquarters on the Hudson.
- Wagner, Ann Prentice. "Jasper Francis Cropsey, Tourn Mountain, Head Quarters of Washington, Rockland Co., New York. In Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Edited by Sarah Cash. Washington, 2011: 102-103, 121, 261-262, repro.
- Speiser, Anthony M., ed. Jasper Francis Cropsey: Catalogue Raisonne, Works in Oil; Works in Oil, Volume One: 1842-1863 . Hastings-on-Hudson, 2013: 133-135, repro.