Breaking the Rules
Grades 9 through 12
Requests for winter/spring tours (January 6 – May 29, 2020) will be accepted from December 2, 2019 – May 2, 2020.
What is modern about modern art? Students investigate the ways artists "break the rules" when they depart from realistic representation, use innovative techniques, and engage the viewer as a partner in the creation of meaning.
Looking and Learning Skills
During four or five tour stops, students engage in activities—such as looking exercises and small-group work—that foster conversations around works of art. The following skills are promoted:
• Making and articulating careful observations.
• Formulating questions that demonstrate curiosity and engagement.
• Exploring multiple viewpoints within the group.
• Comparing and connecting different works of art.
• Reasoning with evidence from the artworks themselves.
• Developing new ideas about modern art.
Examples of Works Featured on Tour
Group size: Up to 60 students
Length: 75 minutes; offered at 12:30 p.m., 1:00 p.m., and 2:15 p.m.
Meeting Location: East Building Atrium
Tours must be scheduled at least four weeks in advance. Groups must contain at least 15 students.
Once your tour has been scheduled, you will receive a confirmation letter via e-mail in 10 business days (14 days for Spanish-language tours).