Breaking the Rules
Grades 9 through 12
What is modern about modern art? Students investigate the ways artists "break the rules" when they depart from realistic representation, use innovative techniques, and engage the viewer as a partner in the creation of meaning.
Looking and Learning Skills
During four or five tour stops, students engage in activities—such as looking exercises and small-group work—that foster conversations around works of art. The following skills are promoted:
• Making and articulating careful observations.
• Formulating questions that demonstrate curiosity and engagement.
• Exploring multiple viewpoints within the group.
• Comparing and connecting different works of art.
• Reasoning with evidence from the artworks themselves.
• Developing new ideas about modern art.
Examples of Works Featured on Tour
Group size: Up to 60 students
Length: 75 minutes
Meeting Location: East Building Atrium
Tour Request Form
Requests for fall tours (September 24 – December 7, 2018) will be accepted from August 1 – November 2, 2018.
Tours must be scheduled at least four weeks in advance. Groups must contain at least 15 students.
Once your tour has been scheduled, you will receive a confirmation letter via mail in 10 business days (14 days for Spanish-language tours).