Grades 4 through 12
Requests for winter/spring tours (January 7 – June 7, 2019) will be accepted from December 3, 2018 – May 3, 2019.
How does art send messages about a nation and its identity? During this tour, students explore the historical and cultural connections among selected works of American art.
Looking and Learning Skills
During four or five tour stops in the galleries, students engage in activities—such as looking exercises, and working in small groups—that foster conversations about works of art. On this tour, students will practice the following skills:
• Using works of art as primary sources on American art and society.
• Making and articulating careful observations.
• Formulating questions that demonstrate curiosity and engagement.
• Comparing and connecting different works of art.
• Connecting new ideas learned from the tour to prior knowledge and experience.
Examples of Works Featured on Tour
Group Size: Offered at 12:30 p.m. for up to 90 students; up to 60 students for 2:15 p.m. tours
Length: 75 minutes for grades 4 through 12
Meeting Location: West Building Rotunda
Tour Request Form
Tours must be scheduled at least four weeks in advance. Groups must contain at least 15 students.
Once your tour has been scheduled, you will receive a confirmation letter via e-mail in 10 business days (14 days for Spanish-language tours).