Grades 6 through 12
Students will consider works of art as primary sources that illuminate American history and culture, looking carefully at and exploring landscapes, portraits, and scenes of everyday life. The tour includes three to four stops, during which students will actively engage with work of art through discussion, creative writing, and sketching. This tour can be tailored to connect with different periods in American history.
Looking and Learning Skills
Students will practice these looking and learning skills:
• Making and articulating careful observations;
• Formulating questions that demonstrate curiosity and engagement;
• Comparing and connecting different works of art;
• Connecting new ideas learned on the tour to prior knowledge about American history and culture;
• Interpreting works of art as primary sources about American art and society.
Length: 30, 45, or 60 minutes
Examples of Works Featured on Tour
Additional Gallery Resources
Tours must be scheduled at least four weeks in advance. Groups must contain at least 15 students.
Once your tour has been scheduled, you will receive an email confirmation in 10 business days.
We greatly value your feedback about your school tour experience. Please submit this form to share your feedback.